Sunday, June 18, 2006

Web Programming

Of late, I have discovered the joy and curse of web programming. In very few other fields is the disparity between amateurs and pros so vast, yet so easily traversed. Now, I'm not very good yet, but I can tell how much I have improved.

I have created two sites so far. One is a browser-based MMORPG named Economies of Scale which still needs much debugging. It is business-themed and is located at http://guardian996.awardspace.com. If you go there, make sure to join the forum, and also note that (for now) the game is not "running." It is a tick-based games, and I haven't set up the necessary requirements to make the ticks advance, although that will be coming soon.

The other site I've made, which is fully functional (to my knowledge) is called Chaotic Outbursts and is located at http://chaoticoutbursts.awardspace.com. Here you may submit an outburst (scroll to the bottom to do so) and you will also have an outburst selected for you at [pseudo-]random. There is also a voting mechanism and top ten list, so vote if you see something you like. That site simply needs more traffic to get it underway.

Another site which I would like to pass along, although I have not made, is http://www.myshost.com/. If you join the forums there and make 75 posts, you will be able to get a free domain name. I will be attempting to get a few for the sites I now have. WARNING: Do not go to that site unless you have a good pop-up blocker. Don't go to this site. It had many pop-ups and trojans and messed up my computer for a week. IE still has some problems...but then again it always had its problems, so I'm on Firefox now.

For my faithful readers, I ask some favors:

  1. Visit my sites and let me know what you think of them in the comments here.
  2. Leave ideas for future sites you wish existed.
  3. If you know of any interesting web-development sites, post them here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made some new Chaotic Outbursts. It was fun. I'll have to add more later. As for your game and forum, I've joined the forum, as you know. I still need to come up with a pretty picture and grand theme for your game.

Hmmm. If it's not going to be colonizing a planet, I still think you should think about my other idea: competing cities instead of systems. Or maybe even countries. This is what happens in the real world, right? I want to join Sydney and sell kangaroo hides. ;-)

Evenstar

Anonymous said...

Hey. Just letting you know that you should definitely stay with Firefox, (you should've came long ago) and that Firefox is great. Since you develop web stuff - here is two extensions you make like: Web Developer or Firebug

Also, I recommend the extensions Adblock Plus, Tab Mix Plus, (and others but you can explore)
Yes, I am a big Firefox advocate ;)

ps. i also got a couple Mysql error batches on your ChoaticOutburts on a few refreshs. it was prob just your hosting site's fault, but thought i'd let ou know.